Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Server setup

I'm going to attempt to chronicle the events of me learning how to create web apps. As of now, I'm responsible for creating everything from scratch. At this point, I've already sketched a very rough outline of how my first web app is going to turn out; I have chosen to build it on the Django framework, with a PostgreSQL database, running on a Debian server. All of those are new to me. Well, I have had some experience running Ubuntu on my home desktop, and as a simple SSH/file server, so Debian isn't entirely new to me.

So far, I have installed Debian with kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64, and all of the software I need. Hopefully, by today, I should have some equivalent of "Hello, world" that I can access through a browser from some other computer on the LAN, and maybe start populating the database with some sample data.

I'm skimming Dive Into Python, The Definitive Guide to Django, and the PostgreSQL docs as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment